You can travel even when you are unemployed. A great trick is to utilize job interviews. Big companies will pay for your trip even if they decide not to hire you or you decline the job. So if you can’t find ANY glamour in being single and unemployed, then at least you are free to go where ever the fuck you want without having to ask for anyone’s permission or taking anyone’s feelings into consideration. 😃 If you are tight with money, apply for a job in an international company and if they are interested, they’ll pay for your trip for the job interview/ relocation costs to move to the location of the job. Even a basic shitty zero talent required call center job will do that in Europe. As long as you speak some exotic language like Finnish or Portuguese. For Americans, China and Japan pay huge salaries for teaching English (with an American accent). I’ve talked to some young American women who even went to Istanbul to teach English.
You can also do it online and save money to travel abroad. You don’t need to explain yourself to anyone. People will say you’re selfish if you travel and they’ll say you have a hidden agenda if you don’t travel and help your old retired relatives. 🤣 Cheap people will always find some fucking thing to whine about so FUCK THEM and do your thing.
You have to be smart when you travel alone, especially as a single woman. I have avoided “dangerous” countries and picked safe spots like Thailand, Luxembourg, Bulgaria, Germany and my favourite, New York City! Some may argue that NYC is not that safe, but actually, it’s the hub for highly educated talented single career women (and men). Funnily, Sex and the City TV- show inspired a rush of young fashionistas to move to the city and there might be even more young single women than men. Unfortunately, I failed to establish my career there and had to return back to square one. Sabotaging someone’s efforts to establish an international career is not cool AT ALL and doesn’t help anyone. Wouldn’t it be a win-win to EVERYONE if young talent could actually go abroad and use their talent, earn their own money and then come back with their own fucking money instead of forcing them to do shit they do not want to do?! 🤣 I think any government would be happy to have smart hard-working young talent that actually want to earn their own money (regardless WHERE they earn their money..) instead of living on social benefits like a loser. Babies can come later and the LAME AF excuse I have gotten from people is that I’m “in the age of having babies”. 🤣Wrong, I need a man to have a baby and MONEY. The baby won’t eat air, so obviously I need to have a (high paying) job first. Babies and shoes are fucking expensive Ok??🤣
Even if you are broke AF, you can travel abroad alone. You just have to pick locations that are not very expensive, keep on a budget and maybe even try to earn some money while traveling! Every country has their own rules and regulations about unemployment, but most European countries have a “union system”. You pay an annual membership fee and if you lose your job, you get like 80% of your salary for two years. This is a good system, especially if you were viciously bullied in the previous workplace and need a break. Usually people find a job during this time, but unfortunately in my case my unemployment seems to be a neverending hell. So then you just have to do random jobs, like sales promotion gigs (e.g. handing out flyers is LAME, but it’s grass root marketing and pays OK, better than McDonald’s cashier) and other low paying jobs totally not worth your Master’s. 😖Here’s a list of countries I have travelled to while being single and unemployed. By the way, I also LOVE to combine trips to save a buck. So if I’m in Central Europe, I’ll take a cheap train to a nearby country etc..
- NYC. I went there three times for JOB HUNTING and all my plane tickets cost less than 500€. On one of my trips there, I worked two weeks at Marimekko store in UES in Manhattan to earn some cash. Once I stayed with family friends to save rent money and then I also found cheap shared apartments on Craigslist.
- Paris, France. European flights are cheap especially if you know all the bargain websites. Book early and travel lightly!
- Galway, Ireland. I travelled with my own money to check a call center job offer I got, but decided not to accept it for personal reasons. Again, not that expensive, took a plane to Dublin and a train to Galway and then a bus to my hotel. Travel lightly so you don’t need to take a taxi everywhere.
- Sofia, Bulgaria. I went there for a call center job. My travel expenses were paid by the company and first two weeks in a hotel. Sadly, I got fired. 😅🤷🏽♀️
- Mumbai, India. I stayed with relatives to avoid hotel expenses. If you don’t have relatives abroad, find cheap hotels and go with friends.
- Bangkok, Thailand. I took a cheap flight from Mumbai since I was already in that part of the globe. Nice hotels are also MUCH cheaper than in Europe/ the States.
- Malta. I went there for an online casino job and my travel expenses were paid by the company and first two weeks of accommondation. Sadly, I got fired AGAIN. 😅😫
- Tallinn, Estonia. There are cheap boat trips from Helsinki for like 20€ with return. People are beautiful, friendly and very helpful. Prices are very reasonable too.
- Luxembourg. Found a cheap flight and stayed with a friend. The cheapest way to travel is to travel with friends or alone and stay with friends/ relatives. If you don’t have friends, find trustworthy travel buddies online. (There are websites for it.)
- Trier, Germany. I took a cheap train from Luxembourg, paid in total like 20€ with return.
People will get jealous if you travel when you are unemployed, they will question where did you get money to travel and did you do something shady. 😂 There’s no cure for jealousy. You don’t need to explain yourself to anyone, but since so many “lovely” people have accused me of BULLSHIT, here’s a very simple blog post how to fucking travel while being unemployed, without having to do prostitution, rob a bank or squeeze money from your retired relatives!!🤣